A different kind of
facilities planning process
Building Excellence is a living set of resources that will be used to initiate a new approach to long-range facility planning. Unlike a fixed plan that lays out a district-wide project list and timeline, our approach taps into an ever-growing database of information about each of the five project areas below (Attendance Areas, Community Growth Projections, Building Assessments, Instructional Design Needs, and Community Engagement). Building Excellence provides resources to identify and prioritize needs through a cyclical process that will allow for greater transparency and accountability, and this new approach will ensure that our facilities equitably serve teaching and learning needs district-wide.
Below you will find some of the resources that make up Building Excellence, which will be continuously updated to ensure decision-makers have the most accurate information to make facilities planning decisions. To learn more about our Capital Planning strategies that will be utilized for maintenance and major construction projects, please see slide 9 in the January Board of Education presentation.
2015 Referendum Projects
In April 2015, Madison voters authorized funding for a forty-one million dollar ($41,000,000) school facility improvement plan. The projects occurred in sixteen MMSD schools during a thirty-six month period, ending June 30, 2018. A summary of the project and its outcome can be found here.
- Attendance Area boundary maps, a look at the districts current attendance area boundaries
- Considerations for boundary changes, the six considerations when redrawing boundary lines
- Imagine Madison, for links to reports about demographic trends for the city of Madison
Community Growth Projections
- 2018-2038 Student Enrollment Projections Update, a report prepared by Vandewalle & Accosiates
- Fall 2018 Enrollment Report Implications and Next Steps (Board Memo)
- East High School Facilities Study and Assessment (2019), produced by Plunkett Raysich Architects, LLP
- La Follette High School Study and Assessment (2019), produced by Plunkett Raysich Architects, LLP
- Memorial High School Study and Assessment (2019), produced by Zimmerman Architectural Studios, Inc.
- West High School Study and Assessment (2019), produced by Zimmerman Architectural Studios, Inc.
- Periodic Table of Building Condition in MMSD (interactive version)
- Educational Facility Condition Assessment , Plunkett Raysich Architects, LLP
- Athletic Facility Assessment, Rettler Corporation
Instructional Design Needs
- Personalized Pathways
- Dual Language Immersion (DLI)
- Four-Year-Old Kindergarten Program (4K)
- Ignite Information and Technology Plan
- Guiding Principles for Building Excellence, generated from community input and used moving forward to help guide facilities planning
- Draft Criteria for Capital Improvement Plan Projects, informed by best practice nationwide and community input, and used moving forward to help evaluate potential CIP projects
- Building Excellence Spring 2017 Engagement Plan, delivered to the Board in April 2017
- Building ExcellenceSpring Engagement 2016: Perceptions and Vision, a 2016 report summarizing the major themes in student and staff perceptions of and vision for facilities
- Plan for Engaging the Madison Community, delivered to the Madison Board of Education on July 18, 2016
- 2014 Analysis of Facilities Plan Feedback, a 2014 report about feedback on a draft facilities improvement plan
With this comprehensive information in hand, the Madison Board of Education can make insightful, proactive decisions about our school buildings that reflect our community’s priorities and values.
Timeline of developing these resources with your input
We are following a three-phase plan to engage our students, staff, families and community members in the development of this strategy. We are currently in Phase 3 and we need your feedback to move forward. Please read through the resources above and click below to give your feedback. Thank you!
Where can you learn more?
- The July 18, 2016 presentation to the MMSD Board of Education by the research team
- The January 23, 2017 presentation to the MMSD Board of Education Operations Work Group
- The July 10, 2017 presentation to the MMSD Board of Education Operations Work Group
- The December 11, 2017 presentation to the MMSD Board of Education Operations Work Group
- The April 16, 2018 presentation to the MMSD Board of Education Operations Work Group